In 2003, Saigon Institute of Technology (SaigonTech) entered into a Partnership Agreement with Houston Community College (HCC) to jointly offer courses for HCC credit that will apply to the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degrees in Computer Science Technology and Computer & Information Science Technology. Consequently, in 2007, the Partnership Agreement between SaigonTech and HCC was extended enabling SaigonTech to offer AAS programs in Business Administration, Marketing, International Business, Accounting, and Geographic Information Systems. Saigon Tech was Vietnam's first off-campus site of Houston Community College (HCC), a regionally-accredited American community college whose coursework offered at Saigon Tech was approved by SACSCOC (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges).
The Partnership Agreement contractually commits SaigonTech to deliver the programs offered by the Computer Science Technology Department and Business Department at HCC. Under this contract, SaigonTech students will be awarded credits on their HCC transcript for their academic work in the same manner as HCC students in Houston. All other courses will be transferred to HCC following the evaluation and approval of SPANTRAN, an HCC – approved foreign transcript evaluation agency.
SaigonTech and HCC board of management at SaigonTech
In effect, this contractual agreement allows SaigonTech students to earn an HCC degree by studying in Vietnam. Following is the excerpt from the Partnership Agreement between SaigonTech and HCC:
SaigonTech Boards of Administration and HCC Representatives at SaigonTech office in 2003 HCC hereby agrees:
1) To provide curriculum models for identified degree programs.
2) To accept all the credit hours earned by students at SaigonTech towards an AAS degree at HCC under the terms of this Contract.
3) To provide model course syllabi appropriate to each degree program being offered at SaigonTech.
4). To assist in providing listings of the required textbooks and instructional materials for instruction.
5). To evaluate examination procedures and results for quality control.
6) To provide continuing counsel, advice, and direction on all matters concerning the degree program.
7) To inform SaigonTech, on a timely basis, of all curricula and other changes that may affect the program.
8) To pursue possible development of other degree programs with SaigonTech.
9) . To accept SaigonTech students who want to pursue AAS degrees at HCC, Texas. These students must satisfy the admission requirements for international students including a TSI and English Placement Test (if they do not have a valid certificate of TOEFL ITP ≥ 500 or TOEFL iBT ≥ 61 or IELTS ≥ 5.5).
10) To provide regular and appropriate information to SaigonTech concerning the academic progress and performance of their former students while those students attend HCC.
11) . HCC will support a faculty exchange program that is mutually agreeable to both institutions.